top blog sites
top blog sites
Google+

Sunday, April 20, 2014

What, if Anything, do we owe Developing Nations?

Hundreds of thousands of people die every year due to some illness or injury that could have been treated. Countless preventable deaths have happened in the past ten years, simply because some people aren't able to access any kind of healthcare. Our society boasts of our selflessness, and of our charitableness. I ask you then, why are we so easily able to turn a blind eye to so many horrors. I'm perfectly aware that it costs a lot of money to send healthcare to poor people in Africa. I'm perfectly aware that the people up on Parliament Hill feel as though they're not responsible for another nation's people, and they would be right. So why then, do I feel like those deaths are crimes?


In my fourteen years of life, I've realized something. I've become aware that the world isn't fair. I'm lucky. I'm so, so lucky for what I have, but there are people starving to death somewhere. There are people dying of a preventable illness somewhere. Is it okay to say that it's not our problem? Life isn't fair, and I don't expect it to be; but when should we say that enough's enough? I'm not saying we have the power to undo all the crimes that have ever happened, nor that we'll always be able to prevent them. But isn't there something we could be doing? Something more? I'm not responsible for another's wellbeing. It's not my obligation to look after people who can't live through a simple infection, simply because there's no doctor or hospital in sight. It's not yours, either. But I do think that we, the rich civilizations of the west, have some amount of responsibility for those less fortunate than us.

Please share your take on these issues in the comments bellow.
Ignorance is the curse of God;
knowledge is the wing
wherewith we fly to heaven.

-William Shakespeare